26 March 2008

He really isn't a problem child

Well some of you may remember I posted about Jo having behavior problems.

Yesterday we had his appointment with the Audiologist. Ok, let me back up a bit. Back in January I noticed Jo was having problems hearing things. At first I just thought he was being a typical kid with selective hearing. Then after a week, I figured maybe it was water in his ears.


He had his sports physical the end of January, and they did the hearing screening on him, and he failed it. Not just a little bit, but a lot! So his PCM put in a referral to see the audiologist. So yesterday we had that appointment. Jo has 30% hearing loss in his right ear, and 40% in his left ear.

When he seen the counselor she picked up on the fact that he was having troubles hearing, so she gave me some suggestions to tell the teachers. They had him sitting in the back of the classroom, now bless his heart, we found out yesterday that unless you are within 3 feet of him, odds are he can't hear a thing you're saying.

It's all making sense, and yes at the same time I'm beating myself up over it, because I didn't catch it sooner. Loud sounds will sound like a buzzing muffled sound to him, so it really does explain why he was acting out at school. Sitting in the back of the classroom, at least 20 feet from the teacher, he was getting upset because he couldn't hear her, and acting out. Yes I know him acting out wasn't right, but he just didn't know how to tell us that he couldn't hear things.

They did quite a few tests on him, and one was to see how much noise his ear drum picks up. His picks up nothing, nothing, I was shocked. The audiologist thinks its only a temporary loss, and that surgery can correct it. So our next step is too see ENT, so they can check him out and decide what actions they want to take.

Lets just hope and pray that we don't have to wait a month or more to see ENT.




0 comments: