29 March 2008

Should Arlington honors go beyond rank?

I was flipping through the Army Times on Friday and came across this article, and I have to admit, I found myself angry at it. You can read the article here


I think this upset me the most

An enlisted service member killed in battle and posthumously awarded the Silver Star for heroism is rendered lesser honors at Arlington National Cemetery than an officer who dies in a car crash the day after being commissioned.


I, of course, don't really know who should and shouldn't receive full honors. In my personal opinion, all Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Airmen killed while in Combat deserve a Full Honor Funeral.

I'm sure there is nothing I can do myself to get this changed, I do however plan on writing my Congressmen about the subject. I really don't think rank should determine who gets what honors.





0 comments: